What risks are involved?
Generally TMS is considered safe and well tolerated. However, it can cause some side effects. Side effects are generally mild to moderate and improve shortly after an individual session and decrease over time with additional sessions.
Risks may include:
- Headache or localized neck pain - treated with mild analgesia
- Scalp discomfort at the site of stimulation
- Tingling, spasms or twitching of facial muscles
Serious side effects are rare, but may include:
- Mania, particularly in people with bipolar affective disorder
- Short term hearing loss if there is inadequate protection during treatment
- Retinal detachment